Saturday, October 18, 2008

Reading Books With Koda


This week I had a moment most moms can relate to. I walked in to find my three year old Koda had emptied an entire bottle of Elmer's Glue on three carpets. With a proud grin he handed me the now empty bottle. One look at my face and he must have realized it wasn't quite the accomplishment he wanted and he ran to his room to get away.

After prying the glue cap out of my one year olds mouth, I spent the next 40 minutes scrubbing carpets imagining the bill from the univerisity if I didn't get it out. Thinking grumpy thoughts I counted the minutes until Travis got home and let him read the boys their night time story while I walked into our bedroom, crossing a now crunchy carpet, reminding myself that 4 can't be to far way.

The following day Koda asked for me to read to him his goodnight story. He is recently obsessed with a terrible story about a Jester that has lost his Jingle. I find myself skipping sentences, paragraphs, when he doesn't notice even pages, to get through the awful tale. Koda starts out in bed listening to the story. He moves to the edge of the bed. Soon, he scoots off the bed to sit by my side, and before I know it, Koda is leaning against me- head on my shoulder, listening to the twisted tale of the Jester. He reaches out his hand to put on top of mine and when I finish he looks up with a toothpaste dribbled face and says "I wuv you mommy".

With that I've turned the page from the many glue incidents and remind myself that my 3 year old will only be 3 for so long, and soon enough he will think the Jester book is as bad as I do. Next time, I think I'll read the full book while he still lets me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy are you smart! Kids grow up so fast it takes your breath away. In the meantime, wanna borrow my sister's carpet steam cleaner?

Jennifer said...

Hah! Nope, I think I got most of it out the little stinker :)

Anonymous said...

jenn, what a wonderful reminder.

emily will get all of the gruffalo tonight too.

<3

~kris~ said...

oh my gosh I'm so happy to hear your admission of skipping sentences, paragraphs, even pages. I thought I was the only mom that did this!!! I watched my husband reading Jake a painfully long book the other night and he didn't skip one word and I felt awful thinking to myself how much of this story he would be missing if it were me reading it to him!!

Anonymous said...

Jenny You are an amazing person. I never realized what your job entailed. I don't know how you do it all and still remain the wonderful mother and wife that you are. Know matter how many difficult days you have with you sons, cherish them because they will only be little for so long.