Thursday, October 23, 2008

Voted Early Today!!

*Caution...this post contains political opinion. Continue at your own risk ;) Today is early voting on campus. Early Voting has been going on for a while at the town office, but today the town office came to campus. I sit on a non-partisan committee for the university to try and get out the vote. The town hopes to get 200 people through today. I hope they are successful.

It was really important to me that I bring Koda with me, even though I knew it would be a whole lot more work. Forunately, I don't go to work until 1pm on Thursdays, so after breakfast and a daily dose of Little Einsteins, we bundled up for the walk over to the Union, packed some snacks, toys, and in a momentary act of brialliance, Travis's cellphone that has a Backyardigans episode uploaded to it.

The process itself was really painless. The line was shorter than I expected. We got there about 15 minutes before they opened. Keep in mind I am registered in a ward that is pretty much 99.9% college students. I stood out a little with my double stroller, bottles, cheerios, and a now singing/shrieking cell phone "we're back yard friends...the backyardigans...". For the first time in my voting life, I felt a lump in my throat. I'm an admitted political junky through and through, but for the first time my vote wasn't about me. It was about the drooly kids sitting in the stroller who were currently dropping cookie crumbs all over the hall.

Earlier this morning I was trying to explain to Koda what were going to do today, and why it was important. I interupted his third round of "Kwinkle Kwinkle wittle star" sung/yelled from the top of the slide to tell him today we were voting for the president of the United States.

Koda: Pwesent?
Me: No honey, we are voting for President. Mommy is voting for President and is voting for Obama.
Koda: We go get a Pwesent Obama?

I just laughed and we continued on our morning. A few hour laters I thought how smart my little democrat is. Why yes Koda, today I got to vote for Senator Obama, and that is, in my belief, a huge gift to our country. What a great "pwesent" Obama will be.

1 comment:

~kris~ said...

I voted yesterday and took my 12 year old son with me. I was so excited for him to go - I wanted him to see the process. I remember the first time I voted I was so nervous because I had no clue what to expect and I don't want that for him when it's his first time to vote.