Tuesday, December 16, 2008

It's 3am...

And I just got home. Finals weeks mean many things on campus. For people in my job it means midnight breakfasts, and manning the all night study locations.

A 1-3am shift makes for an awkward time to go back to sleep to wake in a few hours.

While I'm up though I thought I would share a story from last night's midnight breakfast. I was serving french toast sticks to hungry, sleep-deprived students (many of whom had probably FINALLY cracked that book open for the first time this semester) and I realized I was talking to them like I do to Koda. With Koda, I find a mumble, a half-nod, a grunt an unnacceptable way to say yes. Well, many of our 18-21 years olds on campus seem to still be doing this.

Me: French toast sticks *wearing my cheesy grin
Student: mmmmph
Me: Yes? Or No? *in a motherly-clearly ennunciate-tone
Student: Yes
Me: Great!

Replace student with Koda in the above dialogue and that is the average morning in our household.

1 comment:

Amy Sine said...

I love midnight breakfasts...I was doing the same thing on the 9th. But several of our students weren't there because they were studying. They had a final in a week...I'm not kidding.