Friday, December 12, 2008

Peanut-free for me

A few months ago now Tristen had a head to toe reaction while eating eggs. Fortunately, Benedryl stopped the reaction, and off we were to the doctore who actually did not think it was the eggs but a cross contamination reaction to peanuts. We got our allergist referral, and have been avoiding peanuts just in case.

By avoiding, we certainly were not over the top. We still have PB in the house. Travis still ate peanuts. Tristen still ate from the bakery section of the grocery.

Today, Tristen finally had his allergist appointment. They had to end the test early because his reaction was severe. So, Travis came home with perscription for an Epi Pen to find a freaked out momma who threw out/donated every jar of PB, and started reading every label. Our generic cherrios? Definitely made in a facility that has peanuts. Travis's argument is that the cheerios haven't given him a reaction yet and he has had them for nearly a year. My reaction? Do you really want to risk it?

So, my momma bear protective nature is trying to balance letting my child be a child and wanting to bleach every surface he will ever touch. Travis doesn't want our little guy to live in a bubble, I don't want to stab my child in the leg with an Epi Pen.

I remember hearing schools going entirely peanut free and debating with myself if that was overboard. Now, I can't imaging sending my child to school where 90% of kids are eating PB, have PB oil on their hands, place those hands on toys... you get my point.

I'm sure we'll find the balance between bubble and living. It will take time, we did only learn for sure a few hours ago. Yet, I can't help but mourn that Tristen will be the kid at birthday parties that has to ask the host what is in the cake before he can enjoy it too. Seems like such an unfair loss of innocence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jenny, sorry to hear about Tristen's peanut allergy. I am sure it will be a constant worry for all of you until you get use to the idea.