Monday, June 22, 2009

A party to a train wreck

We just finished watching a certain reality show about a family with a set of sextuplets and twins. You know what I'm talking about.

When all was said and done, Travis and I agreed. WE felt like crap. I remember catching their show on Discovery Health long before their regular show was picked up. It was a one time glimpse into their lives. The sextuplets were still little babies. I was fascinated. I wanted to know how two people could possible juggle this family.

Five years later, we were a party to a train wreck as it played out before our eyes on television. We tuned in. Our fascination played a role in this mess those poor children now face.

Did those parents CHOOSE to make a regular show? Yes. Did they CHOOSE to continue when it was plain to the world it was destroying the husband/wife relationship? Yes. Would they have found themselves divorcing regardless? Perhaps.

But, I also made a choice. I made a choice to watch. I made a choice to buy a magazine that featured them with photos probably taken by some creepy paparazzi. And for MY choices, at the end of the show, I felt sick.

Regardless of that families choices, I've now made mine. I won't be party to such a gross tragedy. I pray for the best for all of them.

No comments: