Friday, May 22, 2009

When did we forget?

(Click image for full size, not sure what I did wrong)

Facebook has become my lazy way to keep up with friends. Or "friends". Facebook defines them the same, but the person I haven't seen or spoken to since I was 11 probably hardly qualifies as "friend". Wait, that is a whole other post. Fast forward to my original thought for a post, while reading the billion status updates today, I became struck at the consistent comments.
"Off for the weekend!"
"Drinking it up with the family!"
"Can't wait for the BBQ!"

Don't get me wrong. I don't find these WRONG, my own isn't so far away form the above.

I'm just struck that somewhere along the way we began to take this holiday for granted. The very fact we get to enjoy this long weekend, the BBQs, the time with friends and family, is all due to the sacrifice so many before us made by defending our freedom. When did we forget? When did it become an after-thought?

As we plan this weekend, we leave tomorrow for four days of family time. I'm thinking a lot about how to introduce the boys to this (and many holidays). Perhaps we will make cards on Monday for the troops still with us, still fighting. I'm still thinking on that one.

For the men and women who gave so much, I don't want to forget. Thank you, we honor you. I pray my boys grow to understand your sacrifice, and that they remember that this long weekend is about far more than roasting hotdogs.

No comments: